Bellies & Babies
Bellies & Babies is a drop-in group for pregnant women and new parents with babies birth to one year.
The group provides individual and peer support for pregnant women and postnatal mothers, and provides resources and support to new parents. Resources cover issues such as the importance of early secure attachment, nutrition, suggestions for healthy lifestyle choices, breastfeeding, pre and postnatal mental health challenges, baby development, and parenting.
What you can expect
The program includes two weekly hot lunch groups, support for breastfeeding and baby’s first foods, clothing swaps, resource sharing, and one to one support. Enhancement programs such as Mamas Supporting Mamas, Infant massage and prenatal Breastfeeding are offered throughout the program year.
At our weekly groups you can experience:
- A friendly, welcoming, non-judgmental environment for all new parents.
- Staff who are knowledgeable, skilled and trained in supporting families
- Pregnancy, birthing and new parenting resources
- Breastfeeding information and support
- Mother to mother connection
- Nutrition Support – Information on healthy eating during pregnancy and breastfeeding – Baby’s first foods – Recipes for healthy and delicious meals
- Non-judgmental support for healthy lifestyle choices during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Access to maternity clothes, diapers, baby clothes, formulas, equipment for infant care
- One on one community outreach
- Learn about other services and community resources
How you can take part
No referral is required, the program is free and confidential. There are two weekly groups per week:
Mondays 11:00am – 1:00pm
Gibsons & Area Community Centre, 700 Park Road
Tuesdays 11:00am – 1:00pm
The Family Place, 5520 Trail Avenue, Sechelt
For more personal one on one support, we can arrange to come to meet with you.
We are here to support you in your parenting journey!
Our Bellies and Babies program and Parent-Tot Drop-In programs have lots of exciting events scheduled for 2022, including:
- Mamas Supporting Mamas
- Circle of Security
- Song, Story and Rhyme Fun
- Baby & Infant First Aid
Bellies and Babies will be closed between July 24 - August 14 for the summer break. Parent-Tot Drop-In will be closed between June 27 - July 8 for summer break. If severe weather occurs, such as heavy rain, windstorms or extreme heat events, programs will run indoors at the Rec Centre (Gibsons) or Family Place (Sechelt).
Be sure to check here often for upcoming groups and join our Facebook group for all the latest news and events! Our staff are here to support you and are available if you need us. Please call Shirley on 604-865-1108 or email email@example.com.
Please note* There will be no programs on the following days due to holidays:
- Friday, July 1 - Canada Day
- Monday, July 25 - Friday, August 12 (summer break)
Song, Story and Rhyme Fun
Discover the power and pleasure of rhymes, songs and stories. Our musical volunteer, Lea, will lead us through five weeks of music and rhyme. Connect with your children and spend time together singing, playing instruments!WHO: Parents/caregivers and their child. WHEN: Fridays, May 20 - June 24, 10:00 - 11:30 am WHERE: The Family Place, 5520 Trail Avenue, Sechelt. COST: There is no cost to attend. Registration required. To register or for more information contact Shirley French on 604-865-1108 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Bellies and Babies program is funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada; Sunshine Coast Foundation; Community Foundations of Canada (founding partners of the Equality Fund); parents, and community donations.