Bellies & Babies
Bellies and Babies is an inclusive drop-in group for expecting families and new parents and caregivers with children from birth to one year.
The group provides individual and peer support and provides resources and support to new parents. Resources cover issues such as the importance of early secure attachment, nutrition, suggestions for healthy lifestyle choices, breastfeeding, pre and postnatal mental health challenges, baby development, and parenting.
What you can expect
The program includes two weekly hot lunch groups, support for breastfeeding and baby’s first foods, clothing swaps, resource sharing, and one-to-one support. Enhancement programs such as postnatal support groups, Infant massage and prenatal Breastfeeding are offered throughout the program year.
At our weekly groups you can experience:
- A friendly, welcoming, non-judgmental environment for all new parents.
- Staff who are knowledgeable, skilled and trained in supporting families
- Pregnancy, birthing and new parenting resources
- Breastfeeding information and support
- Peer connection
- Prenatal classes
- Baby sign classes
- Perinatal Substance Use Supports
- Nutrition Support – Information on healthy eating during pregnancy and breastfeeding – Baby’s first foods – Recipes for healthy and delicious meals
- Non-judgmental support for healthy lifestyle choices during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Access to maternity clothes, diapers, baby clothes, formulas, and equipment for infant care
- One on one community outreach
- Learn about other services and community resources
How you can take part
No referral is required, the program is free and confidential. There are two groups per week:
Mondays 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Gibsons & Area Community Centre, 700 Park Road
Tuesdays 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
The Family Place, 5520 Trail Avenue, Sechelt
We also offer a once monthly group at the Lions Park Hall, Madeira Park
Hours/days may vary, please check our website or Facebook page for updates.
For more personal one on one support, we can arrange to come to meet with you.
We are here to support you in your parenting journey!
Our Bellies and Babies program and Parent-Tot Drop-In programs have lots of exciting events scheduled, including:
- Mamas Supporting Mamas
- Circle of Security
- Song, Story and Rhyme Fun
- Baby & Infant First Aid
If severe weather occurs, such as heavy rain, windstorms or extreme heat events, programs will run indoors at the Rec Centre (Gibsons) or Family Place (Sechelt).
Be sure to check here often for upcoming groups and join our Facebook group for all the latest news and events! Our staff are here to support you and are available if you need us. Please call Shirley on 604-865-1108 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bellies and Babies program is funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada; Sunshine Coast Foundation; Community Foundations of Canada (founding partners of the Equality Fund); parents, and community donations.