Free, confidential counselling for women who have experienced sexual assault, violence in a relationship, and/or childhood abuse.
Since 1993 the Women’s Counselling Program has been providing counselling free of charge to women (aged 19 and over) who have experienced childhood abuse, sexual assault and/or violence in a relationship.
Whatever happened or is happening, you can heal, and you do not have to face it alone. The Women’s Counselling Program offers counselling to help you find safe ways to heal from abuse and the impact it is having on your life.
What you can expect from the program
This program seeks to help all women including trans women and gender non-binary persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, class, sexual orientation or ability, to recover from the impact of violence they have experienced and reclaim healthy satisfying lives by:
- Recognizing and understanding the dynamics of abuse
- Focussing on safety and developing a safety plan if necessary
- Exploring the impact of past and current abuse and violence
- Identifying and using existing strengths and skills
- Building supportive relationships and communities
- Learning new skills, resources and self-care strategies
Abuse can take many forms
Abuse can take many forms such as: emotional, physical, sexual, spiritual, cultural, financial etc.
- You may have experienced it in your family
- You may be a Residential School survivor
- You may be in a relationship with someone who is abusing you and feel unsafe right now
- You may have been sexually assaulted
- You may have experienced racism or discrimination in a relationship
- You may be experiencing the impact of abuse that occurred years ago
You Are Not Alone
Violence and abuse are social problems that affect everyone. It can happen to any woman regardless of age, ethnicity, class, race, sexual orientation or ability.
It happens with alarming frequency, but it is not acceptable and it is never your fault.
How you can take part
No referral is required. The program is free and confidential. Individual counselling and group counselling (when available) are provided to women on a short or longer term basis depending on individual need and the capacity of the program.
Counselling is offered in two locations – Gibsons and Sechelt. To connect with the program call or text our confidential line at 604-865-0105.
This program is funded by the Government of B.C. and by community support.