Affordable Housing For Women
Sunshine Coast Community Services Society (SCCSS) has a vision to build an engaged healthy and thriving Coast through affordable housing, the power of food and Community Services. The proposed development will embrace a mix of women including single women, women and children, single women who are older, and young women who are aging out of care; creating a community of women and families who have similar life experiences such as struggles with homelessness, poverty and experiences of violence/abuse.
Priority will be given to women and children who currently live on the Sunshine Coast and to those who were forced to leave the Sunshine Coast in search of safe, affordable housing, but who still have family and support networks on the Coast.
This development will bring the majority of SCCSS programs located in Sechelt to one main location. This will reduce barriers to service and increase opportunities for individuals and families, particularly for those with complex challenges, to access a variety of services in one location.
The following benefits will be provided through this development:
• 30-35 units of affordable women’s housing located at 5638 Inlet Ave, Sechelt operated by SCCSS.
• A redeveloped Community Services space that is purpose built and better able to accommodate our programs and to continue to meet current and emerging community needs
• The addition of a commercial kitchen and food programming space to increase our community's access to nutritious food and foodbank services.
• Increased safety and security of the neighbourhood through thoughtful design that will increase lighting, improve the pedestrian walkway, increase organized activities and build connections between neighbours.
Help us move this initiative forward:
• Stay informed: sign up for SCCSS E-news
• Attend a future open house about this project
• Share your support for this project with your neighbours
• Email or write a letter of support for this project to the District of Sechelt
• Email Devon Kennedy at email@example.com about capital campaign donations