Affordable Housing For Women
Sunshine Coast Community Services Society (SCCSS) has a vision to provide affordable housing and community services together in one location where people can be engaged, active and supported in a warm and welcoming environment. The proposed development will embrace a mix of women including single women, women and children, single women who are older, and young women who are aging out of care; creating a community of women and families who have similar life experiences such as struggles with homelessness, poverty and experiences of violence/abuse.
Priority will be given to women and children who currently live on the Sunshine Coast and to those who were forced to leave the Sunshine Coast in search of safe, affordable housing, but who still have family and support networks on the Coast.
This development will bring the majority of SCCSS programs located in Sechelt to one main location. This will reduce barriers to service and increase opportunities for individuals and families, particularly for those with complex challenges, to access a variety of services in one location.
The following benefits will be provided through this development:
• 30-35 units of affordable women’s housing located at 5638 Inlet Ave, Sechelt operated by SCCSS.
• A redeveloped Community Services space that is purpose built and better able to accommodate our programs and to continue to meet current and emerging community needs
• Increased ability to use food to build health and community through the incorporation of a Community Food initiative that will include community gardens, food bank services and offer increased food programming that will bring people together to grow, share and advocate for good food.
• Increased safety and security of the neighbourhood through thoughtful design that will increase lighting, improve the pedestrian walkway, increase organized activities and build connections between neighbours.
• Flexible community meeting spaces
Help us move this initiative forward:
• Stay informed: sign up for SCCSS E-news
• Attend future consultations on this project
• Share your support for this project with your neighbours
• Email or write your district councilors, your MLA, Nicholas Simons and your MP Pamela Goldsmith-Jones indicating your support for this project
• Email or write a letter of support for this project c/o SCCSS affordable housing