Dear Coastal Neighbour
Coast residents of all ages are invited to put pen to paper and share their stories, pictures, poems, and support and help us deliver letters to people on the Coast in need of some extra joy right now. Whether you use our template or create your own layout, we are asking you to write from the heart, sharing positive, thoughtful and kind messages.
What is Dear Coastal Neighbour?
Dear Coastal Neighbour is a letter-writing initiative that will provide a small, but personal gesture of non-digital connection to those on the Sunshine Coast, many of whom are facing increased isolation, stress and uncertainty due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Coast residents of all ages are invited to put pen to paper and share their stories, pictures, poems and support. We will deliver the letters to people on the Coast in need of some extra joy in their lives right now.
Through connection, we can fight isolation together!
The Dear Coastal Neighbour initiative is a partnership between:
How do I participate?
It's easy! We have created a handy Resource Toolkit to help you get started and spark your creativity, then simply follow the steps below:
1. Create a letter, drawing, poem, or other handwritten communication. Feel free to use our Dear Coastal Neighbour template or use your own paper and layout.
Not sure who to write to? You can focus your letter on a specific group you feel compelled to communicate with. For example:
- Frontline Workers
- Children & Youth
- New Mums
Or, just write a general letter to Dear Neighbour - the choice and opportunity are yours! A few things to keep in mind are:
- Be kind and thoughtful
- Try to use legible handwriting
- Be creative
2. Address your letter to:
Dear Coastal Neighbour
Box 1069, Sechelt BC, V0N 3A0
If your letter is for a specific group, please indicate so on the outside of your letter (E.g. Dear Coastal Neighbour - Health Care Worker).
3. a) Put your unstamped letter into one of the Dear Coastal Neighbour mailboxes at one of the following community drop-off locations:
- Persephone Brewing Company – 1053 Stewart Road , Gibsons
- Sunshine Coast Community Services Thrift Store – 731 North Road, Gibsons
- The Gumboot Restaurant – 1041 Roberts Creek Road, Roberts Creek
- Sunshine Coast Community Services Society – 5638 Inlet Avenue, Sechelt
- Pender Harbour Health Centre - 5066 Francis Peninsula Rd, Madeira Park
SCCSS will collect letters ahead of community distribution.
b) Put a stamped letter into the regular mail.
All letters will be delivered to SCCSS, where they will be prepared for community delivery.
4. Sit back and feel good!
Your special letter will be delivered to a lucky recipient on the Coast in the near future.
Do you know somebody who would like to receive a letter?
Please get in touch and let us know! Call us on 604-885-5881 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with Dear Coastal Neighbour in the subject line and we will do our best to get them a letter.
The following Dear Coastal Neighbour resources are available to help you get started. Simply click on the links below to access:
COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocols